Traditionally, the main pottery-producing areas in the Eastern Piedmont were in Randolph, Chatham, and Moore Counties, in the towns of Seagrove, Asheboro, and Jugtown. It was here that salt-glazed stoneware became a strong tradition -- produced in large quantities from the 1820s through the end of the nineteenth century.Read More
Among the earliest producers of salt-glazed stoneware were Edward Webster (1801 – circa 1882) and his brother Chester (1799-1882), both of whom moved to North Carolina from Connecticut. The Websters are famous not only for being the first continuous stoneware producers in the state—1823 to 1882—but also for having decorated their wares with lively incised designs of birds and fishes. The Seagrove area continues to be a vital pottery center, and indeed a magnet for potters who have relocated here.